The pandemic from which we don’t seem to be emerging has had an unexpected accelerating effect on the entire field of the digitalization of society with important consequences in our daily lives.
We would not consider today traveling 800km for a 1h business meeting unless it is for a formal act requiring a physical presence. Teams, Skype, Zoom, have become the essential allies of a world where physical contacts are now a luxury. In both personal and professional spheres, it is said that we have gained up to 5 years of digital evolution during the first semester of confinement.
In the conference organized by AECOC in December 2021 “FMCG Perspectives 2022” the data presented by Nielsen IQ, demonstrated a consolidation of e-commerce for the sector in 2021, after the surge of 2020. Spain, with a market share of 3%, is at the level of the surrounding countries, such as Italy (4%), Portugal (2%) or Germany (1%), but far from markets in which “online” is much more developed, such as France (11%) or the United Kingdom (14%).
If there is always a larger number of consumers (31% according to Nielsen IQ) who buy consumer products online, this level of 3% of the total sales value is nevertheless very weak and even the 11% in France or 14% in the United Kingdom cannot be compared with the importance of online commerce in sectors such as electronic products, sound, sporting goods or travel for which many physical stores have begun to disappear.